But it hasn’t been an easy year by any means. In fact, we almost lost her several months ago.
Not really understanding the real dangers associated with them, we had two tall sago palms in our back yard. While pruning them, Harper got a hold of one of the sago “pups” that fell to the side. Within hours she was vomiting heavily and we took her to the emergency vet. It was only then that we became aware of how dangerous and deadly these plants are to pets. Most dogs, our vet informed us, do not survive sago palm ingestion. Harper’s health continued to decline over the next few weeks with liver values off of the charts. At one point we were told she would likely not make it another week and to prepare for euthanasia when things got really bad. So we made a bucket list for her, which we completed over the next few weeks, and even took her to our church to be blessed by our priest.
I don’t know if it was medicine, miracle or a little of both, but Harper pulled through. Her health improved and you would never know anything is wrong just by looking at her or playing with her today. But it is. Even though she survived the initial trauma from the sago palm ingestion, a subsequent liver biopsy determined she has developed chronic hepatitis from the incident. We manage it with six medications daily and a special prescription hepatic diet. There are no guarantees of how long she’ll live with her diagnosis. (But her last two blood work results were perfect which is a great sign!) But what I can guarantee is that she’ll be loved every single day.
I hope you can join me in spreading the word to current and prospective pet owners about the dangers associated with sago palms. These plants are so dangerous and deadly that anyone with a sago palm in his or her yard should not be allowed to take home a pet until the plants are removed. I have heard personal accounts and read online the details of many pets that weren’t as lucky as Harper. I consider myself very blessed that she is still with me, and I hope to make a difference by creating more awareness so that others don’t go through what we did. That is a priceless Christmas gift you can give to the pets in your care and their future pet parents.
Thank you again for bringing Harper together with our family. She has truly been a blessing and brings us happiness every day. We hope the entire K-9 Angels family has a very Merry Christmas!
P.S. I have created a website with more information for anyone who is interested in reading more about Harper’s story or about the dangers associated with sago palms: http://nomoresagopalms.weebly.com
And this is the blog I wrote on the one-year anniversary of Harper’s adoption: http://www.thedoxiemom.com/blog/dear-harper— Enjoy 🙂
If you would like to send us an update on your adopted
K-9 Angels Rescue dog, please send a short write-up and photo(s) to
firstname.lastname@example.org. We LOVE to get updates!
* * * * * * *